Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Front Cover: Editing the Central Image

Original image

 This is the original image which I am going to use for my front cover. To unify this image with the colour scheme I have chosen, I am going to edit it in PhotoShop.












1) Altering the saturation


 I selected "Hue/Saturations" in the drop down menu from "Adjustments" in the "Image" tab in PhotoShop.

I lowered the saturation of the image until I thought the outcome was most similar to images I'd studied, and was in-keeping with my colour palette.




2) Touch Ups

Using the "Patch" tool, I got rid of any imperfections on the image - specks of dirt on the jacket, and smoothing the skin tone. It seems it is almost mandatory that magazine images are digitally edited to add more of a "desire" aspect to the image.

Using the "Red Eye" tool, I selected the iris to alter them to black.


3. Composition

I then repeated the same process with a similar image of Joshua which I thought may be a possible cover image.

       Original image


 I applied the same PhotoShop editing tools to this image, and flipped the image.




Using the "Quick Select" tool, I selected Joshua's figure.

I then dragged the selection into the other image file and placed it according to where it looked best. 


After a few more alterations to make the image look realistic, I have decided that this edit will be more effective on the front cover than the original. Similarly to the front cover of NME, it creates a statement as an image. This edit also fills a portrait much better, as there is no negative space.








No comments:

Post a Comment