Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Style Sheet

Style Sheet

Initial colour palette options:



 1) The green/turquoise tints connote fresh, new, calming and relaxing ideas. The darkest green adds the deep, raw, "rock" idea to the magazine, and the minty, lighter tints represent the calming, slowed tempo which a lot of indie music features.

2) As I've seen NME and Q, red is used often as it connotes energy and attracts attention. I have combined this with some red tones, to which I have added grey. Although I like red as an option as it seems to work effectively in a range of magazines, I think this combination looks too feminine for a magazine which is aimed at both genders equally.

3) The third colour combination I created is a very simple blue one. Although I like the combination, I think these colours are not best suited to my sub-genre of music. To me, blues connote calming, relaxing images. And although I want to convey a sense of calm in my colour palette, I think this combination needs editing slightly as blue is a very stereotypically "masculine" colour.

Options for masthead, coverlines/headlines, and body fonts:

Masthead





I found three possible fonts to use as my masthead on a website called dafont.com, which holds a range of fonts available for download. My choices are:

     1) Ponymaker
     2) Blackout
     3) Biko 

1) Ponymaker
I think the Ponymaker font is quirky and somewhat represents the sub-genre of music I am basing my magazine on. It is very similar to the splash font used on the front cover of the Q magazine issue I analysed. However, I don't think this font will be completely suitable for my masthead as my target audience is 16 - 25. For the lowest ages in this category, this font may be more suitable as it is extremely playful in aesthetics. I do not think it is appropriate for ages of 25, for this age bracket it may seem childish.

2) Blackout
The Blackout font is my favourite of the three options. It has both a young and playful appearance, as well as a sophisticated look which would create the impression that my magazine is an established brand. The Blackout font draws the eye towards it, as the removal of the closed counters (the empty holes in some letters) in the letters. This is almost irritating to the reader as the counters which should be there, are missing. This font is the one which is most like a "brand" font, a memorable font which can be associated with a certain brand due to its dramatic/unique appearance.

3) Biko
The Bebas font is the simplest of the options I have chosen. Similarly to the Blackout font, the simplicity and 'block' appearance of the font creates the impression of an established brand. It is modern and has an almost Art Deco appearance. This font, as it is very simple, is similar to many magazine masthead designs on the market. I think that a slightly different take on the masthead design process would give my magazine an edge which many do not have.


Coverlines/Headlines



I have chosen two possible fonts for coverlines/headlines in my magazine. When analysing both NME and Q, I noticed that they both use a Sans Serif typeface. Due to this, I have chosen two Sans Serif fonts which I think will suit my magazine. Out of these two options, I prefer the Couture font. I think this font will be ideal for the headlines/coverlines of my magazine as it is modern yet simple. The font for this purpose must be bold and legible, so I have decided that Couture is ideal.

Body font



I have chosen three fonts for the body text. I have decided that I am going to use the Georgia font for my body text. I have ruled out Calibri as in articles, Sans Serif fonts are much more difficult to read. Serif fonts are easier to follow as the appendixes (feet) on each letter help to guide the eye. In the magazines I analysed, Serif fonts are used in the articles. This looks traditional but similarly looks classy and gives the impression that the article is of high quality. I prefer the Georgia over the Hoefler font as the Georgia characters are slightly more rounded and heavier, meaning it will appear to be more legible and modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment